The student news site of Overlea High School

The Overlea

AP Aftermath

Delmonte Ward, Opinion Reporter

Months of working and competing with your classmates towards a common goal. Months of rigorous study and little sleep for an extra edge. This is the life of an average AP student. For nearly ten months we live a life that is similar to that of a long winded lecture; learn this, you need to study this, don’t forget this. We go to class, participate in some of the most mentally challenging courses our respective schools have to offer, then we go home and study and do homework for hours, sometimes past two or three in the morning. Then we get up at five or six in the morning so we can repeat this treacherous schedule.

The average person may ask, “Why would anyone subject themselves to something so terrible?” And knowing my goofy attitude I may tell them something like, “Because we are superheroes!” Hopefully someone with a sensible bone in their body will give you a straight answer. Maybe something along the lines of, “We do it for a chance to pass the AP test.” Yes, all of this misery for a single set of test. We willingly submit ourselves to nearly ten months of mental hell for a single two week period.

What’s so special about the AP test? Is a test really worth us forfeiting ten months of our lives? In short the answer is yes. Yes a thousand times over. You see, with the completion of the AP test, we have the opportunity to be relieved of thousands of dollars in the very near future. No, we do not learn how to cheat on our taxes— not directly at least. No this is not a way to cheat the lottery, although that would help. Instead, this is more like millions of students vying for the same exact opportunity you are. If you are thinking this sounds familiar you are correct. No this isn’t some magical solution to mastering the gridiron; instead this test strictly pertains to college courses. Yes college courses, very little else. Depending on your performance on this test, your participation your hellish class can count towards your college credits, meaning if you take that course in college when it will cost thousands.

But here is the catch, this test is far from easy. It’s only a small stretch to go as far as to state that it is designed to fail and trick students. The only way in hell a student can have any aspirations for passing this test, is to sacrifice those ten months and use every millisecond preparing for the battle. That is until the AP test is no longer a goal.

After the 15th of May, there are no more AP test but still an entire month left in the school year. After months of putting things like your social life, personal health and sometimes mental sanity aside, we as students are expected to continue pushing through the rest of the year despite the lack of an extraordinary opportunity. Some students have simply given up on their AP classes for the remainder of the year. Students such as Devan Haines-Winder (‘17) can be quoted saying, “Nah man, I really don’t care for this class now that I took the AP test.” Even students who constantly performed in their AP classes have begun to feel discouraged. Students like Lauren Dewberry (‘17) who have consistently enjoyed success in her AP Statistics class, have admitted to losing interest in the class. “Yeah, at first I was motivated by the AP test but now I can care less for this class.”

Ten months of our time and now we are expected to perform in these classes for the last month after our opportunity pass. Most students like Shatira Williams (’17), angrily ask, “Why are we still doing things? We are not preparing for the test anymore because we already took it.” Personally, I agree with students as I struggled to find the motivation to continue writing English papers, finishing my Statistics homework or paying attention in my dramatically long AP US History class.

It’s easy to say that we as students have become lazy. With a closer look, it becomes evident that instead of becoming lazy we lost motivation to continue with our hellish class. As the year comes to a close, it would not be a surprise to see the grades of AP students to drop dramatically.