The student news site of Overlea High School

The Overlea

Shattered Memories: An Investigation into the Wrestling Case

Tatyana Cunningham, Reporter

As I was walking down the bright and sunny sunshine alley, I paused, and walked down to the 1st floor where there is no sunlight. I noticed an old beat up and broken trophy case. Inside of it I saw old pictures of old-time wrestlers that went to Overlea High School and the pictures inside were black and white.

After seeing this trophy case I wanted to investigate what happened, because back then it seem like people were really into wrestling. I wanted to know how much the wrestling trophy case meant to the Overlea staff, and why did it looked a mess for so long.

I had to figure out who to talk to first who was is the longest person that worked her and involved with wrestling.

I thought about  Coach Mal. I set up a way to interview with him.  When I went to talk to Coach Mal, I felt nervous at first.  I got shy.

Coach Malinowski is a short, stubborn-looking man. He seems very mean, but I just talked to him like he was a friend.  There was no need to be shy.  Coach Mal is an nice individual and case a lot about the Overlea stuff.  While talking to him, I found out that “I was very disappointed at the trophy case looking the way it did. What happened was a young lady broke it,” said Coach Malinowski.  After a while they didn’t worry about it so much.  Wrestling is special to Coach Mal because it’s something he found a connection, and it also became a way of life to him.

When I was talking to Coach Mal, he said: “When I was in school, wrestling was a popular sport. Students were at every match. You had to get a ticket ahead of time. That’s how packed it would be–so crowded.  But now students don’t care that much about it.”

Coach Rollins was another good person to talk to about wrestling.

When I asked him how do he feel about wrestling he replied, “I love it.” So I brought up the trophy case, and he responded: “We will be moving it upstairs giving it a brand new look.” I asked him the history wrestling team, and he said: “JV haven’t had a champion in five years.  This year two place finish at 170, six place at 130 and took third place at County.

I want to find out how previous wrestlers felt about wrestling, so I interviewed varsity wrestler Thomas Weems (’17).  He said: “I don’t care about it that much because it’s nothing I want to do in my life. I just wanted to do it while I was in school.”

Students at Overlea High School don’t care about wrestling.  They don’t know how popular it was back in the day, and how important it is to Coach Mal–I suspect it’s so special to him because he was there and experienced it.